Our learning community stands in support with our friends and families in West, Texas, in the aftermath of the tragedy. Our students in particular want to help their fellow learners in various ways. The following official press release is from West ISD, which includes information on what can be done now and in the near future as the community begins to recover. Here’s hoping as you talk with your child this information will be useful to you.
The West Independent School District is deeply grateful for the outpouring of support we are receiving from our fellow Texans, as well as communities from across our great nation. Our goals at this time are very simple:
• To support the work of first responders.
• To return our students to their schools and the security that comes from normal routines as soon as possible.
• To repair our school buildings to the safe and secure buildings our community takes pride in.
Many are seeking meaningful ways to assist our community at this time. Here are three ways you can assist:
• For those who are geographically close to Waco, donations are being collected at the McLennan County Extension Office. Water, Gatorade, food, toiletries, baby wipes, baby items, blankets, towels, wash rags, clothing and shoes for men, woman and children are among the many things needed. Please bring donations by the extension office: 420 N 6th St, Waco, TX 76701-1315, email@example.com,~Office: (254) 757-5180; Fax: (254) 757-5097
• Blood donations will eventually be needed, which is one way to provide support in our local areas through Carter Blood Care.
• Baylor University has organized a West news page and Relief Fund, which includes links to other organizations responding to the tragedy.
Many school districts have been reaching out to assist as well. If you are with a local school district and have an offer of assistance please email that offer to firstname.lastname@example.org. Grand Prairie ISD will compile the master list and make it available to West ISD Superintendent, Dr. Marty Crawford.
As we learn more about our needs, we will work to update our district website at http://www.westisd.net
We appreciate the many offers of support and assistance that are coming in. Please know that your thoughts and prayers are deeply appreciated and are a great comfort to our community.